Thursday, February 12, 2009

What Is It With TV News?

Have you noticed how TV news likes to promote itself? How TV news anchors like to boast about the other TV anchors on the same station? What's with that anyway?

TV anchor Joe talks about all the great attributes of TV anchor Jane. Then TV anchor Jane, in a different spot, tells what a great guy TV anchor Joe is.

He's really involved in his community, she says about him. She really digs deep to find all the facts about a story, he says about her.

Why are they telling us this? If we didn't like what we were seeing, we wouldn't be watching. Can't we decide who we like and don't like without them helping us figure it out? Apparently they think we need convincing. They must suffer from lack of confidence if they feel it necessary to tell us over and over how wonderful and devoted they and their colleagues are.

Come on, just read the news. I'll decide if I like you or not.

And what about the way they promote their newscasts.

We do it best on Channel X.

Channel X, first on the scene, first with the news, first with the weather, first with this and that. You saw it first on X.

Apparently I already like Channel X. I'm watching it, aren't I? If I weren't watching it, I wouldn't be seeing all these promotion spots, so it wouldn't matter.

What Channel X should do, if it wants to convince non-Channel X viewers to watch Channel X, is to run commercials on Channels Y and Z. And Channels Y and Z could so the same on Channel X.

Just give me the news at five and six. I don't care what you guys think of each other, and I doubt others do either. I don't care where you buy your clothes, get your hair done, or what kind of deodorant you use.

Just read the news! That's all we want.

That's the way I see it. How about you?

Breck

1 comment:

TomcatAviator said...

You are so right, I have thought the same for years. I think the worst is Channel 2. I changed to another station because I got so tired of their annoying comments and self-promotion.